Rough copy of events schedule for 2015 below:
Saturday, March 14th – Tofino Day Dates
Opening Ceremonies – Tofino – Village Sq
Parade, Spout Ball, Tug-o-Whale, and Salmon bbq
- Seachange Panel discussion - March 14 Tofino – Botanical gardens - Dr. John Ford, Alex Barron, Jim Darling and Joe Martin
- West Coast Photo Showdown – March 14, Ucluelet – Black Rock Resort, Judge for yourself - photo competition of professional and amateur photographers.
Sunday, March 15, - Ucluelet Day
- Dr. John Ford – presentation, Black Rock Resort
- Rubber Fish Race – Thornton Creek Hatchery
- CPAWS BC – Alexandra Barron – Whiskey Landing Lodge
Monday, March 16 – Tofino Day
- Blessing of the Fleet – Tofino Harbour
- Echachis Whale Hunting Village trip – Jamie’s Whaling Station & Tashii Paddle School
- First nation Cedar Weaving with Rose Wilson – location TBA
- Remote Passages Marine Excursions – 3 speaker series w/ Jim Darling
Tuesday, March 17 – Ucluelet Day
- Cedar Weaving - Ucluelet Community Centre
- Presentation by Silva Johanssen – Pass of Melfort – Ucluelet Community Cneter
- Pacific Wild Presentation - Kwisitis Centre
- Bog walk with Maureen Vo – Bog trail, PRNPR
Wednesday March 18th – Tofino Day
- Echachis Whale Hunting Village – with Jamie’s Whaling station and T’ashii Paddle School
- Storytelling with Roy Henry Vickers – Eagle Aerie Gallery
- Seachange update – with Dan Harriso, Pete Clarkson and Karla Robison (radiation / Tsunami Debris) - Tofino Botanical Gardens
- Pacific Wild presentation – Kwisitis Centre - PRNPR
- Remote Passages Marine Excursions 3 Speaker series w/ Natasha Ewing (Ocean Networks)
- Cookie Decorating at the Common Loaf Bakery
Thursday, March 19th – Ucluelet Day
- Marine Mammal Research Day WW with Wendy Szaniszlo
- Ucluelet Maritime Kid's Day – featuring a performance by The KERPLUNKS
- Beach Seine Interactive – Terrace Beach
- Barnacle Blues at Black Rock Resort - featuring Tiller’s Folly
Friday , March 20 –Tofino Day
- Rainforest Walk w/RES - Schooner Trail
- Remote Passages - Flukes & Feathers w/ Pete Clarkson
- Storytelling w/ Roy Henry Vickers , Eagle Aerie Gallery
- Artist in Action - Poster Artist; Claire Watson
- Tofino Kid's Day – Tin Wis Resort conference centre –featuring a performance by THE KERPLUNKS!
- Movie presentation - TBA
- Dark Sea Spectacle – the Shore building – Create your own fashion ensemble using recycled materials, show it off, then dance the night away.
Saturday, March 21 – Ucluelet Day
- Be Bop WPT interpretive walk
- Kristin/ Ocean Networks … presentation at Black Rock Resort
- Marine Mammal Research Day WW w/ Wendy Szanizlo
- Silva Johanssen - Pass of Melfort presentation at the UCC
- Movie presentation – Community Room, UCC
- Historical Society presentation- 100 years of the Amphitrite lighthouse - UCC
Sunday, March 22 – Closing Ceremonies
Chowder Chow Down & Closing ceremony - Ucluelet Community Centre
Last Year's (2014) Festival Event Line-Up:
The Wickaninnish Gala and Silent Auction, Tofino B.C.
Tuesday, March 11th / The Wickaninnish Inn 6:00pm
On March 11th, 2014 The Pacific Rim Whale Festival Gala and Silent Auction will start with Chef Warren Barr and the kitchen brigade cook up some magic, as wine pairings and tempting silent auction items complement the evening for this 18th annual fundraising (and fun-raising) event. 100% of the ticket cost and silent auction proceeds support the volunteer-fueled Whale Festival, now in its 28th year! Tickets for the dinner and wine pairing are an amazingly great value at $110/person, including taxes and service. The results will be announced at the Whale Festival Opening Ceremonies on March 15th! For details email our Special Events team.
Thank-You to the following contributors to the Wickaninnish Inn Gala and Silent Auction for 2014! We appreciate your support and thank-you for your contributions:
Vancouver Island Big Leaf Maple Board Colleciton, Allison Tremain, Archipelago Wildlife Cruises, Atleo River Air, Beach Club, Black Rock, Breedom Therapeutics, Browning Pass Charters, Bumble Bee Toys, Butchart Gardens, Butterfly Gardens-Victoria, Caffé Umbria, Todd Byrnes, Christy Feaver Modern Metalwork, Chocolate Tofino, Co-op, Covet Boutique, Crabapple Floral Design, Craigdarroch Castle, Daniela Petosa Ceramics, Eagle Aerie Gallery, Ensemble Restaurant, Frankly Yours Woodworking, Green Soul Organics, Habit Clothing, Hemlock Printers, Il Terrazo Restaurant, Jamie's Whaling Station, Judy Hill Gallery, Tofino Food and Wine Festival, Knit's by the sea, Laurel Point Victoria, Le Crocodile Vancouver, Listel Hotel, Long Beach Golf Course, Coastline Art-Mark Hobson, Metamorphic Design, Method Marine, Nothern Feather, Oak Bay Bistro, Ocean Outfitters, Orca Airways, Pacific Sands, Pacific Surf School, Pink Door Design Lab, Post Hotel Relais & Chateaux, Raudz Regional Table, Remote Passages Marine Excursions, Sabina Hill Designs Inc., Salty Dolls Hair Salon, Sea Wench Naturals, Shelter Restaurant, Sobo, Spirit of Fire Glass, Spa Magnolia, Spotted Bear Bistro, Storm Light Outfitters, Studio One, Sue Koch, Surf Sister Surf School, Tofino Coffee Compnay, Tofino Fishing and Trading, Tofino Pharmacy, Tofino Vacation Rentals, Tuff Beans, Vancouver Aquarium, Walrus Magazine, Bacchus Restaurant Wedgewood Hotel Vancouver Relais & Chateaux, West Coast Aquatic Safaris, Wickaninnish Inn, Wild Heather Books, and th Wildside Grill.
Want to donate to the 2014 silent auction? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
ON-GOING FESTIVAL EVENTS
Check out these great events happening daily. * Times and Details Subject to Change
Artsplash! Pacific Rim Arts Society's Annual Spring Art Show
Showcasing the talents of West Coast Artists and Artisans
Saturday March 15- Sunday March 23 / Black Rock Resort, Ucluelet, B.C.
10:00am - 10:00pm Daily
Come and see what's new in the local art scene! For more information visit www.pacificrimarts.ca
West Coast Photo ShowdownAn Exhibition Competition for the Best Winter Wave Photos!
Opening Exhibition and Viewing: Saturday, March 15th - 20th, 2014
Opening 7:00pm / Saturday, March 16th @ Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, Ucluelet
Admission $5 (Button Event)
Winter storms on the Pacific Ocean have been pounding our coastline for ages! If you’re lucky enough to have witnessed one of these massive surf storms you know how hard it is to capture an image that does it justice. That’s why we’ve invited anyone with a photographic eye to submit their finest winter storm photos to showcase their talent and celebrate one of our favourite winter activities – Stormwatching. This is an informal opportunity to come out and view some of the best winter stormwatching photography on the West Coast. All of the photos that will appear in the Showdown have been taken right here along our coastline between Ucluelet and Tofino. The winning photos will be chosen by YOU, in a People’s Choice style vote by ballot. Thank you Black Rock Oceanfront Resort.
Please visit Black Rock's event page for sign up details...
Daily Marine Documentary Presentations - Button Event
Remote Passages Marine Excursions - Boathouse @ 51 Wharf St., Tofino
Saturday, March 15 - Sunday, March 23, 2014
10:15am & 2:00pm
Researchers discover the mysteries of Gray, Humpback, Killer and Sperm whales!Marine-based documentaries suitable for all ages.See daily screenings at www.remotepassages.com
'Pacific Coastal Mermaids' - An art exhibition celebrating mermaids and the return of the grey whale. Prepare to be enchanted...
Please join us at the Reflecting Spirit Gallery in Ucluelet from 10 am to 6 pm daily for a mermaid artshow featuring 6 - 8 local and gallery artists who work with paint, sculptures, graphics and fabric.
*Free customer appreciation gifts
Beneath the Surface
An art exhibit in the Wickaninnish Inn's new gallery space off their beautiful Driftwood Cafe.
Wickaninnish Inn, 500 Osprey Lane, Tofino - Gallery open daily
Please join the Wickaninnish Inn in celebrating the coast's young artists with a showing of this year's button art winners. Prints will be for sale with all proceeds going back to the Whale Festival.
The space is also showcasing pieces from this year's winning poster artist, Marika Swan; the 2012 poster artist, Allison Tremain; and other coastal artists who submitted their pieces for a chance to be the festival's poster creator.
Fancy a Whale Watch?
Here on the Pacific Rim, both Tofino and Ucluelet have many fantastic Whale Watching companies to choose from to get out on the water for a chance to witness the amazing show that Mother Nature puts on every single day. How lucky are we to have this in our own backyard?!Although there are multiple companies with multiple sailing times, it is a good idea to book in advance to ensure your spot on the ever-popular Whale Watching and Nature Cruises.
Please contact the Whale Watching companies well in advance to claim your spot!
The Pacific Rim Whale Festival is happy to have companies such as Remote Passages Marine Excursions, Jamie's Whale Station, The Whale Centre, Ocean Outfitters, and Tofino Water Taxi in Tofino and Jamie's Whaling Station and Subtidal Adventures in Ucluelet as part of the festival's Whale Watching gang. For contact information, go to our Events page to view the daily-featured tour companies' contact info!
VENUES FOR OUR EVENTS!
For event locations in the Pacific Rim National Park, please click here.